Each of us can be very effective in preventing eye injury by knowing the facts and some important information that helps you to keep your vision healthy throughout your life. You probably know some of the risks of eye injury but may be unaware that by wearing proper protective eyewear it is possible to prevent 90 percent of those injuries! What is troubling is that according to a survey by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, only 35 percent of people say that they always wear protective eyewear when performing home repairs or maintenance and even less wear protective eyewear while playing sports.
Eye Injury Facts and Myths
· Who is more likely to have an eye injury-men or women? Men!
· Are eye injuries more common on the job or at home? Nearly half of all eye injuries occurred in the home! In fact more than 40 percent of eye injuries were caused by projects and activities such as home repairs, yard work, cleaning and cooking. More than a third of injuries in the home occurred in living areas such as the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living or family room.
· More than 40 percent of eye injuries every year are related to sports or recreational activities.
· Eyes can be damaged by sun exposure, not just chemicals, dust or objects.
· Among people who have had eye injuries, more than 78 percent of people were not wearing eyewear at the time of injury!
If you or someone you know is concerned about eye injury and wants to learn more about preventing eye injuries and protective eyewear, please feel free to call Doctor & Associates-203-227-4113, visit Doctor & Associates in Fairfield County or facebook.com/doctorandassociates to schedule an appointment.
Doctor & Associates offices are located at 129 Kings Highway North, Westport, Connecticut 06880, 195 Danbury Road, Wilton, Connecticut 06897 and 148 East Avenue, Norwalk, Connecticut 06851.